Situated on the hillside between Draguignan and Grasse, Fayence is the largest of the perched villages. It was a fortified town and despite its size, has retained its historic charm.
Dominated by a wrought-iron clock tower, it still has a few remains of its 14th-century defences including a Sarcen-style gate. The Eglise St-Jean-Baptise was built in the 18th century with a baroque marble alter (1757) by a local mason, Dominique Fossatti. Its terrace offers a sweeping view over the town’s gilder airfield.
Fayence is one of the villages at the centre of an exciting revitalisation of Provençal crafts, which includes weaving, pottery, stone and wood carving. A regional speciality is hand-crafted domestic pottery made using traditional techniques and designs, as well as local clays in a variety of colours. Examples of all these crafts can be found in small shops, studios, craft fairs and local markets.
The prestigious Musique en Pays de Fayence festival in October brings string quartets to perform in some of the beautiful local churches.